If your organization is late on your filing, first confirm the organization's tax-exempt status is not revoked.
- See How do I check my organization's tax-exempt status? for more information on checking your organization's tax-exempt status.
If your organization is still tax-exempt, follow the steps below to catch up on your late filings.
- File all delinquent returns as quickly as possible.
- If your organization is behind on multiple tax returns for multiple fiscal years, file the oldest return first. Then, file the remaining outstanding returns in chronological order.
- If there are more recent returns that are eligible for extension, extend those to allow more time. See I need to file an extension. Can File 990 help me with that? for more information on filing an extension.
- Seek the help of a professional if you are overwhelmed or uncertain. Click here for more information on our consulting services.